What we do
The EOTO Competence Center for Racism Against Black People is an educational and counseling center with a focus on anti-black racism (ASR), empowerment and prevention of discrimination. The aim of the competence center is to use various educational methods to draw attention to ASR in Germany, to educate about it and to counteract it. The competence center operates nationwide and supports the commitment to democracy and diversity.
The competence center wants to contribute to the collective symbolic and factual awareness raising by the professional advice socially relevant actors as well as the Thematic advocacy on anti-black racism and empowerment of black people. The work of the competence center contributes through professional public relations and campaign work Visibility and recognition Black people and from ASR at. This in turn aims at empowering black people by whites Narratives, new black narratives, expertise and experience can be theoretically and practically opposed. The application-oriented ones necessary for the objectives of the competence center Research project and networks are initiated and further developed from a multi-perspective perspective. The research results flow into the Qualification by multipliers based on those to be developed Technical and quality standards a.
Needs analysis & target groups
Needs and situation analysis:
The EOTO Competence Center for Anti-Black Racism (ASR) pursues a holistic approach (theory of change/Theory of Change), which results from the preparatory work as a C-carrier »Racism Prevention and Empowerment of Black People«, as well as the decades of professional and voluntary preparatory work of the EOTO networks. The UN Decade for People of African Origin under the heading »Recognition-Justice-Development« - translated for the Competence Center as »Recognition-Empowerment-Justice« -, the current EU resolution for fundamental rights for people of African origin and the National action plan against racism, homophobia and transphobia. This results in the following basic needs analysis:
- The engagement with ASR in Germany and Europe is young and has not been in the social focus for a long time
- Historical continuities make it difficult to recognize ASR and to counteract it sustainably
- In addition, there are great concerns about particularization in society. To do this, work must be done on the intersections in society.
- Previous approaches often lead to a change (Othering) of black people and rather contribute to a further particularization instead of fighting ASR
- Black people have internalized ASR themselves and must also be informed accordingly.
The center of excellence anti-black racism targets for the following target groups Consulting and service functions true:
- Actors of the federal program, in particular the model projects from the same subject and field of action, the competence networks of other groups affected by racism, as well as related competence networks
- State actors (ministries, integration officers, state governments)
- Nationwide actors for the reduction of ASR and for the prevention work of ASR, here in particular at the meta level in the areas of school and sociopolitical education, administration, in sport and in the economy
- PAD (People of African Descent), PoC (People of Color) communities and other civil society organizations as actors and multipliers of the ASR work
- Standard structures of child and youth welfare as well as volunteer and part-time in child and youth welfare.